10 Spring Spirit Facts
Need a bit of fun alcohol based trivia for your next night out with your friends. You have come to the right place. Here are 10 facts you may not have knows about whiskey, vodka, gin, tequila, and rum.
- Every year about 4% of whiskey is evaporated. This percentage of whiskey is called the “Angel’s Share”.
- Whiskey and whisky are not the same. In Scotland they use whisky and everyone else uses whiskey.
- Rum was manufactured, distilled, and made long before any other spirit.
- The early US colonists consumed twelve million gallons of rum.
- Russia banned vodka sales during WWI and the government lost a third of its income.
- Vodka was originally invented in Poland, first produced in the 8th
- The global sale of the Gin is nearly 60 million cases, and over a third is consumed in the Philippines where they drink over 22 million cases of gin annually.
- British sailors received a daily rum ration; British naval officers got a daily ration of gin.
- In the mid-20th century, tequila sales spiked after California residents thought it was a psychedelic. Nope. They were just confusing mezcal with mescaline (the psychoactive alkaloid of peyote).
- Once you open a bottle of tequila, you have about two months before oxidization and evaporation lower the quality of the tequila and destroys the agave profile at which point it become more like bourbon
And now you know some great pub trivia!